Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Latest Video of Mutilated American Soldiers

Many years ago, when I was a kid in the '60's, I read a book called "The Curtain Rises" by Quentin Reynolds. I remember when I picked it up I thought it was going to be about plays, or something. Actually, it was a book of Reynolds' reportage during WW2, and in this volume, mostly about the US arrival in North Africa.

One thing that struck me was the casual mention of a torture that local Arabs had inflicted on wayward GI's who had been dumb enough to have sex with an Arab woman. Their genitalia were cut off, and placed in their mouths, and then their throats were cut. I don't know if this is true, but it definitely turned me off to Arab chicks.

I do recall that Reynolds mentioned this, and that the Americans talked about it, there was no discussion about retributively killing all Arabs if or when something like this happened. It was just a cautionary tale.

Anyway, in a possible attempt to cash in on a recent case in which Americans are accused of rape and multiple murders, Iraqi terrorists have released a video of 2 Americans who were tortured, killed, and mutilated. I wrote the following somewhere:

*****

I don't know if I would call our guys "dupes", but there's definitely something about this case that looks like retribution to me.

The rape murder happened in March. The ringleader gets a discharge in April. The 2 guys get kidnapped and mutilated in June.

One can say that no one had a clue about the March incident, but, frankly, I think that's naive.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that the guy who was the main accused perp in the rape murder was discharged soon after. Nor do I think it's a coincidence that our 2 guys were killed and mutilated when they were in the time line. Outside of those 4 contractors in Fallujah -- and that was 3 years ago -- I can't think of a single time US troops were ambushed, then slaughtered, then mutilated. Given that -- going back to the US in North Africa in WW2 -- it is well known that Muslims will kill and mutilate in retaliation for sex crimes, I'm sorry, but I think that's what this is.

*****

I will say a bit more. The discharge of this guy is suspicious to me. It looks like there was a deliberate intent to get rid of him. Normally, once you are discharged, you are not going to be charged for any crimes you committed in uniform. That's why most of the people at My Lai were never charged: they were long gone out of the service. Charging this guy was extraordinary. Which suggests that, if not for the blowback, retaliations, and confessions, this dude might have gotten away with this scot free (assuming he did it, of course.) That's a spooky thought.

On the other hand, if the Army had any suspicions about this incident, the very last thing they would do, for PR purposes, is broadcast it. Yes, a case like this might be a discrete act of madness by a handful of Americans, etc. etc., but every ONE case like this defames all of us, and, yes, endangers the people we have there as well as all of us at home. Committing crimes of passion against Iraqis, or any Muslims, in these days, is to give major agitprop victories to the other side. That's just the way it is. We have to be clean, not only because it's right, but because otherwise, we lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home